- Students and Scholars
- 2022-2023 SHBP Open Enrollment
- Waive or Cancel
- Dates & Costs
- Dental Benefits
- Pharmacy Benefits
- Additional Benefits
- Summer Coverage
- Short-term Coverage Extension
- Learning Abroad
- Health Sciences Disability Insurance
- International Student Frequently Asked Questions
- Forms, Brochures & ID Cards
- Help & Contact Info
- 2021-2022 Plan Year Information
- Graduate Assistants
- Residents, Fellows and Interns
- Coronavirus (COVID-19)
2022-2023 SHBP Waive or Cancel
The Fall 2022 semester deadline to complete the Health Coverage Declaration to enroll in or waive the Student Health Benefit Plan (SHBP) is September 29, 2022.
Please see below for information on waiving the plan:
Waiver Info for Students
Eligible students are automatically enrolled in the University-sponsored Student Health Benefit Plan (SHBP) unless they use the online Health Coverage Declaration to waive coverage. You are eligible to waive enrollment from this plan if you have other health insurance for the entirety of the semester. If you do not appropriately waive the SHBP by the established deadline, you will be enrolled and billed the associated premium for the entire semester. Approved waivers are valid for one year.
To waive the Student Health Benefit Plan, you will need:
- the name of your insurance company,
- your member ID number,
- your group number, and
- your payer ID number (if applicable).
This information can be provided online through the deadline in the MyU Student Center.
Completing the University's Health Insurance Requirement
See steps below to complete the Health Coverage Declaration
1. Sign into the MyU Portal (www.myu.umn.edu)
2. Click “Key Links” in the upper left corner
3. Click “Student Center” from the drop down menu
4. Fill out the Health Coverage Declaration
5. Make sure to click “Confirm” on the choice confirm page
If the Health Coverage Declaration does not appear in the Student Center click on Communication Center from the right hand column and then Health Coverage Declaration under pending messages. You can review your choice anytime in the Communication Center.
If you requested to waive the Student Health Benefit Plan, the Communication Center will show the Health Coverage Declaration choice as "declined". If you have not yet completed the declaration, it will show up as "pending".
You cannot complete the Health Coverage Declaration via parent or guest access.
It is your responsibility to review your Student Account at the beginning of each semester to ensure that it reflects the appropriate level of SHBP coverage regardless of your college's or a University program's involvement in your registration process or who is paying your bill.
For eligible students, the fee for the SHBP will appear on the University billing statement at the beginning of each semester along with other University fees.
It's important to waive the University plan correctly, providing deceptive information on the health plan registration screen is a violation of the Student Code of Conduct and could result in student judicial action in addition to denial of waiver from the SHBP. Students who are automatically enrolled in the plan will be charged the full, non-refundable fee for the SHBP at the start of each semester.
If you have any questions about what the waiver is or how the waiver process works, contact the Office of Student Health Benefits.
Waiver Info for International Students and Scholars
International Students are automatically enrolled in the Student Health Benefit Plan (SHBP). International Scholars must submit enrollment forms to our office to begin benefits as required by the university.
If you meet the following criteria, you are not required to purchase the University-sponsored SHBP:
- Enrolled in a United States-based employer-sponsored group health plan; or
- Enrolled in the University-sponsored Graduate Assistant Health Plan (GAHP); or
- Residing in your home country.
All other international students are required to enroll in the SHBP and are not eligible to waive it.
In order to waive the University-sponsored SHBP, submit the following to the Office of Student Health Benefits in person, by mail, email or fax:
- Proof of coverage such as a copy of the front and back of your insurance identification card; or
- A certificate of credible coverage obtained from your insurance company; or
- Proof of residence in your home country – If you are currently in the USA, or have previously resided in the USA while enrolled at the UMN, you must also submit evidence of physical presence in your home country. Those students that have not traveled to the US on a UMN visa are not required to submit additional documentation with their waiver form. Acceptable methods to show proof of residence in your home country:
A recently requested copy of your travel history from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection I-94 website, Preferred method; or
- Copy of your flight ticket/itinerary showing your departure from the United States within the last 3 months; or
- A copy of your passport showing a stamped entry date into your home country
Alternative documentation may be discussed with a representative of the Office of Student Health Benefits should any of the above be unattainable.
Approved waivers are valid for one semester.