Make Changes to Coverage
If you experience a change in family or work status or would like to cancel your Graduate Assistant Health Plan (GAHP) coverage outside the annual Open Enrollment period, you must notify the Office of Student Health Benefits by completing and submitting an Enrollment and Change Form (pdf).
Your request for a change or cancellation in your coverage must be made within 31 days of the date of the change. Eligible cancellations will occur at the end of the month in which your completed form and supporting documentation are received by the Office of Student Health Benefits.
International students, and their dependents, on a University of Minnesota-sponsored visa may cancel University coverage if they graduate, enroll in US-based employer insurance, or return to their home country for 90 days or more. In these instances, supporting documentation will be required to complete the cancellation.
Status changes include:
- Involuntary loss of other coverage
- Change in legal marital status, including marriage, divorce, or annulment
- Death of your spouse or last eligible dependent child
- Birth or adoption of your eligible dependent child
- Change in last dependent child's eligibility because of age
- Commencement or termination of employment for you, spouse or dependent
- Change in your or your spouse's employment status from part-time to full-time, or from full-time to part-time
- Recent arrival for a student or dependent on a University of Minnesota sponsored visa
- Enrollment and Change Form (pdf)
- Department Authorization Form (pdf)
- Continuation of Coverage Enrollment Form (pdf)
- Student Information Release Authorization Form (pdf)
- Dental Reimbursement Form (pdf)
You may add dependent medical coverage within 31 days of the birth, adoption, or placement date of your new child. Medical coverage is effective on the date of birth or adoption.
Your request for a change or cancellation in your coverage must be made within 31 days of the date of the change. Eligible cancellations will occur at the end of the month in which your completed form is received by the Office of Student Health Benefits.
Within 31 days of your marriage date, you may add your spouse to your medical plan with coverage effective on the date of your marriage.
Submit enrollment/change forms to the Office of Student Health Benefits within 31 days to request these benefit changes. After the 31-day window, you need to wait until the next available open enrollment period to make changes.
To add your new spouse to your benefits please submit the following:
- Appropriate enrollment/change form(s)
- Copy of Marriage Certificate