Resources from Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota
- Learn to Live: Online programs to help with stress, depression, social anxiety, substance use, and insomnia are available through Learn to Live. The programs are confidential, available at no cost and completed at your own pace. Student Services Fee-paying students can visit learntolive.com/partners and enter code “UMN” for access.
- Doctor on Demand: An app that allows you to see a provider when your student health service is unavailable. The app connects you to a visit video to diagnose and treat common medical issues.
- Sharecare online health and wellbeing platform: An app that provides tools, insights and information on how to improve your health and live your healthiest life. Login or register here and click on Sharecare to get started.
- do.® health and wellbeing app: An app that provides tools and resources to better your health. Search for "do. Blue Cross" at the App Store or Google Play.
- Maternity Management program: Gives members in-depth education tools and provides answers for any maternity questions along the way.
- Stop Smoking Support
- Health Support
These and other resources are available on Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota's website created just for University of Minnesota students.
Emergency Travel Assistance
HX Global/Healix International: Your Travel Assistance Company for Emergency Medical and Travel Assistance Services and Political, Natural Disaster, and Security Evacuation Coverage
HX Global is an emergency assistance company that supports you and your covered dependents with the travel assistance benefit that you are automatically enrolled in. This service provides 24/7 multilingual assistance plus immediate help in a travel-related emergency, whether you are 100 or more miles from home or traveling internationally. The travel assistance card has 24/7 emergency contact information on it.
If you have questions, contact HX Global at 202-659-7786 (collect outside the US) or 800-344-2500 (toll-free in the US and Canada) or [email protected].
Emergency Travel Assistance Program Coverage Details under HX Global
As a student enrolled in the Student Health Benefit Plan, you automatically receive Blanket Accident Insurance coverage—which provides benefits if you suffer a covered accident or illness, require a security or emergency medical evacuation, repatriation, and more.
Accidental Death and Dismemberment Benefit
You or your beneficiary will receive a lump sum amount if a Covered Injury to you results in a Covered Loss as outlined in the policy.
Benefits are paid as a percentage of the full benefit amount of $15,000, based on the type of Covered Loss. If the Covered Accident results in death, your beneficiary will receive the full benefit amount.
If you have named a beneficiary, your current beneficiary is your "default" beneficiary. If you have not named a beneficiary, Berkley Life and Health Insurance Company will pay the death benefit in the following order of priority:
- Any beneficiaries designated in writing for any group life insurance plan or its renewals in force with the Regents of the University of Minnesota, if any.
- Your lawful spouse, if not legally separated or divorced, or Domestic Partner;,
- Your natural Child, adopted Child, foster Child, stepchild, or other Child for whom you have or had legal guardianship (proof will be required);,
- Your parents whether natural, step or adoptive; otherwise; or,
- Your estate.
If two or more beneficiaries are designated and their shares are not specified, they will share the insurance equally. If you would like to update your beneficiary designation, please complete the AD&D beneficiary form and return to the Office of Student Health Benefits.
Emergency Medical Evacuation Benefit
If you suffer a Covered Loss resulting directly and independently of all other causes from a Covered Accident while traveling at least 100 miles away from home to another city or foreign country and your attending Physician certifies an emergency need to send you, under medical supervision to another medical facility, we will help to cover the emergency medical evacuation costs, as outlined in the policy and up to the limit specified in the policy.
In the unfortunate event that you die as the result of a Covered Accident outside of your home state or more than 100 miles from your place of residence, this benefit will help to cover your pre-approved Eligible Expenses associated with the return of your body, as outlined in the policy.
Security Evacuation Benefit
In the event you are travelling more than 100 miles outside of your Home Country or outside your country of permanent residence and you are presented with a Covered Security Evacuation, this benefit will help to arrange and pay for Eligible Expenses to transport you to the nearest place of safety, up to the maximum benefit amount outlined in the policy. The Designated Assistance Provider is responsible for arranging travel and authorizing all expenses in advance.
Where a Security Evacuation becomes impractical because of hostile or dangerous conditions, the Designated Assistance Provider will endeavor to maintain contact with the Covered Person until a Security Evacuation becomes viable.
Learn more by carefully reviewing the policy terms and conditions:
This is an accident only policy.
This is a brief description of coverage provided under policy form series AH51051-MN and Rider forms AH51202 and AH51204, underwritten by Berkley Life and Health Insurance Company (domiciled in Iowa - California Certificate of Authority #6978) 2445 Kuser Road, Suite 201, Hamilton Square, NJ 08690 and is subject to the terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions of the policy. Please see the policy for complete details or contact us at [email protected]. Coverage does not apply to the extent that trade or economic sanctions or other laws or regulations prohibit us from offering or providing insurance.
The insurance described in this document provides limited benefits. Limited benefit plans are insurance products with reduced benefits intended to supplement comprehensive health insurance plans. This insurance is not an alternative to comprehensive coverage. It does not provide major medical or comprehensive medical coverage and is not designed to replace major medical insurance. Further, this insurance is not minimum essential coverage as set forth under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.