SHBP Additional Benefits
- Learn to Live: Online programs to help with stress, depression, social anxiety and insomnia are available through Learn to Live. The programs are confidential, available at no cost and completed at your own pace. Student Services Fee-paying students can visit learntolive.com/partners and enter code “UMN” for access.
- Doctor on Demand: An app that allows you to see a provider when your student health service is unavailable. The app connects you to a visit video to diagnose and treat common medical issues.
- Sharecare online health and wellbeing platform: An app that provides tools, insights and information on how to improve your health and live your healthiest life. Login or register here and click on Sharecare to get started.
- do.® health and wellbeing app: An app that provides tools and resources to better your health. Search for "do. Blue Cross" at the App Store or Google Play.
- Maternity Management program: Gives members in-depth education tools and provides answers for any maternity questions along the way.
- Stop Smoking Support
- Health Support
These and other resources are available on Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota's website created just for University of Minnesota students.
Accidental Death and Dismemberment
As a student enrolled in the Student Health Benefit Plan, you automatically receive Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) coverage—which provides benefits to you or your beneficiary if you are seriously injured or die in an accident.
Benefits are paid as a percentage of the full benefit amount of $15,000, based on the type of accidental injury. If the accident results in death, your beneficiary will receive the full benefit amount.
If you have no named beneficiary, your current beneficiary is your "default" beneficiary. That means Met Life will pay the death benefit in the following order of priority:
- Your lawful spouse, if living; otherwise,
- Your natural or legally adopted children in equal shares, if living; otherwise,
- Your parents in equal shares, if living; otherwise,
- Your sibling(s); otherwise,
- The personal representative of your estate.
If two or more beneficiaries are designated and their shares are not specified, they will share the insurance equally. If you would like to update your beneficiary designation, please complete the AD&D beneficiary form and return to the Office of Student Health Benefits.
Learn more by reviewing the policy information: